Noah's Journey to Three

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Third Birthday tickers

Total Pageviews

Tuesday, February 15, 2011

My "ME" Time

 I joined Harrisonburg & Bridgewater Fitness gym a couple of weeks ago with a girlfriend of mine and it has probably been the most I have ever used a gym on my own.  I used to be a physically fit athlete and enjoyed my sport, lacrosse for many years.  Along with lacrosse was cheer-leading, karate, baton twirling, a more.  I twirled for 15 years, got my black-belt first degree in Tae-Kwon-Doe, and cheered throughout high school.  Lacrosse was a sport I started in middle school as a camp and decided it would be "my" sport.  I played in high school and the two years of college that I was without a child.  I was actually pregnant while playing lacrosse for about a month my sophomore year of college and didn't realize it.

I have been struggling with my weight my entire life, but not until now was it actually something that another person would notice.  I always "thought" I was overweight, but now when I look back at pictures...I wonder, 'what was I thinking?'  Now I am 45 pounds above my weight in March 2008 when I was beginning my pregnancy.  I did lose about 15 pounds when Noah was born and I was breastfeeding for 8 months.  Once the breastfeeding stopped my body seemed to put those pounds back and I have a huge "tire" around my midsection.  So...even though Noah is now reaching the age of two, I am finally taking some action to try and live a healthier lifestyle.  At Noah's second birthday party I asked one of my girlfriends if she had a gym membership and since she didn't I asked if she would join one with me.  She is my only girlfriend from college that stuck in the area and I am so happy that we took the initiative!

Since I began my membership at Harrisonburg & Bridgewater Fitness I have been attending the classes that are included.  I am thoroughly enjoying my step class and have become one of the regulars.  I did attend the Abs class one evening, but I could barely do any of it and I was in pain for two weeks after the fact.  So, I have yet to go again, but I have been working on my abs in my own time.  I am hoping to take my very first Zumba class this coming Friday as last Friday I watched and felt I would enjoy it.  

I started out losing 4 pounds and now I have gained that back.  I notice I am much more flexible and the movement of my body is easier.  My personal belief is that the 4 pounds I lost are now back in muscle and it is going to take time to see serious weight-loss as muscle builds throughout the process.  Hopefully by the time Noah is three years old we will be seeing a larger difference.  

So, for now I look at the gym as my "ME" time.  I enjoy attending the classes and it gets me out and meeting new people.  
Now...
Before pregnancy

No comments:

Post a Comment

To Noah From Mommy

To Noah From Mommy
I really enjoyed creating this piece, it was super hard to get into this format, but it is just absolutely wonderful.