Noah's Journey to Three

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Third Birthday tickers

Total Pageviews

Monday, February 15, 2010

The New Approach

As I am grasping the idea of family management, I realize that changes are necessary.  I am currently reading "The Seven Habits of Highly Effective Families," which has inserted different perspective and ideas into my noggin.  The other evening while I was lying in bed reading, I came to the conclusion that I needed to be a proactive person with family management - I need to be the one to make the foundation to begin our life in better ways.  So, I got out of bed, grabbed the large white-board from the kitchen with a black dry-erase marker.  I started to write down some things that I want my family to work on:
1. Think "we" not "me."
2. Set aside one hour a week to discuss what is going on during the week.
3. Noah only eats in highchair.
4. Limit Noah to 6 ounces of juice a day (up to 3 cups with 2 ounces of juice and 4 ounces of water).
5. Limit Noah between 18-24 ounces of milk a day (goal = 18).
6. Exercise when the time allows it.
7. Listen to the person speaking and respond after they are done.
8. Act out of love - show passion.
9. Think before you act - do not act with a first reaction (example:  if something shocking comes up, wait an hour to respond).
10.  Remember to love one another and treat everyone with respect.

These are the items that wound up being on the list the first time around - so far the list has made some big improvements in our relationship as a family.  Some of them are rules and some are guidelines/goals to follow.  It has helped Steven and I communicate as parents about what is good for our son.  Along with, ut has helped us as a couple to communicate our feelings. 

We have decided that each week the white-board would change and we would both put what we think needs to be worked on, on it.  It has been great so far and I believe it will continue to be great in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment

To Noah From Mommy

To Noah From Mommy
I really enjoyed creating this piece, it was super hard to get into this format, but it is just absolutely wonderful.