Noah's Journey to Three

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Third Birthday tickers

Total Pageviews

Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Sippy Cups, Toothbrushes, and Small Talk about Organics

Noah has been using a sippy cup since he was 6 months old.  I didn't want my son to be attached to a bottle like the many children I see at two and three still holding a bottle.  Thus, I started him early on a transitional sippy cup.  I used this cup (Gerber NUK brand).  The nipple is shaped like a sippy cup, but it still has the soft nipple feel of a bottle, which allowed us to start him on a sippy cup at the age of 6 months.  Well, Noah is now 13 months old and I want him to transition to a different  cup, which so far has gone really well!
This is the sippy cup we started him on:
Now, my mother was teaching an American Red Cross baby-sitting course and I stopped by for a visit.  While stopping by I noticed a whole bunch of sippy cups on the counter and started looking at the numerous different kinds that there are.  In the store this is difficult because they do not have a sample cup shelf where you can open and feel the tops as I was able to do in this particular situation.  Thus, while I was  being a touch-a-holic to the cups, I realized that Gerber has another sippy cup with a soft spout, but it is not a nipple and it is not anything like a bottle.  So, this will still allow Noah's teeth and gums to have a semi-soft spout to use for drinking.  I got the cups yesterday and so far he has used them perfectly!  Now, he still goes to sleep with milk every night, so I am in the process of trying to wean him out of that habit, so for now I will keep using the NUK for the bed.  But, overall I am very pleased with Noah's easy switch to a normal sippy cup!  He has done really well.  I also got him some regular children's cups so that he can have sips out of them too.  He likes to have them empty and pretend there is a drink in there!  He chomps his mouth and smiles as if the "drink" tastes good!  Below is a picture of the sippy cup he is now using and a picture of the regular kid cup that he gets to use on occasion also:
Product Image
And of course, if you didn't notice...there is a monkey theme to his cups!  I also bought him a monkey bowl, flat plate, and divided plate.  So, now we can start with toddler-hood!  He is still eating 90% jarred organic baby food that is pre-made, but when I went to the grocery store today I bought organic foods with intentions of sharing with Noah.  I recently have started him on some meats, he has had chicken and meatloaf, which he enjoyed both.  I am trying to turn my kitchen in to an organic kitchen and make everything as healthy as possible.  If you are a mom and do not have time to exercise, the only thing you can do is eat right.  Tonight I made Organic burgers with organic sesame seed, organic bread crumbs, organic beef, organic american cheese and organic paprika; it was a wonderful combination!  You can really taste the difference with organic foods and it makes you feel so much healthier!  Anyway, I plan to start cooking and letting Noah try a little bit of organic table food here and there along with his jarred baby food.
The last new thing of the day...would be....brushing his teeth.  Until now I have used a little finger brush for Noah's gums and teeth, now he has his own little tooth brush that is made for babies 4-24 months old and swallow-able toothpaste with no fluoride.  So, when brushing Noah's teeth today his mouth kept opening to allow me to brush and he would chomp down with the new item :)  I sang the ABC's over and over until his little baby mouth was clean!  Yippee Noah is growing up...but I am sad because I am not ready for him to grow up!

No comments:

Post a Comment

To Noah From Mommy

To Noah From Mommy
I really enjoyed creating this piece, it was super hard to get into this format, but it is just absolutely wonderful.